Welcome to the United Nations
Ocean & Seas
UN Conference to Support the Implementation of Sustainable Development Goal 14
1995 United Nations Fish Stock Agreement
Meetings & Events
News by Topic: Oceans & Seas
More news here
2019: The Year to End Harmful Fisheries Subsidies
8 Jan 2019
- A truth that is fundamental to humanity's existence is that the Ocean sustains life on planet Earth. Think only of the way the Ocean provides us with over 50% of the oxygen...
How Are the Communities of Ocean Action Addressing Climate Change?
7 Dec 2018
- The United Nations has launched nine thematic multi-stakeholder COAs to follow-up on the implementation of these voluntary commitments...
East Asian Seas Congress to be celebrated in November 2018
18 Jul 2018
UN DESA launches revamped Voluntary Commitments platform to drive Ocean Action for SDG 14
18 Dec 2017
Building Communities of Ocean Action on Marine pollution
6 Dec 2017
- At The Ocean Conference, held in June 2017 at UN headquarters in New York to further implementation of Sustainable Development Goal 14 aimed at conserving and sustainably use the oceans, seas and marine resources...
Cop 23: LOSS & DAMAGE & the 2030 AGENDA HIGH LEVEL EVENT: “BUILDING STRONG LINKAGES”
16 Nov 2017
- This Side Event is intended to be a demonstration of the Co-Organizer’s commitment, focus and continued political emphasis on the issue of Loss and Damage. It highlights the need for and serves to encourage all stakeholders, in the spirit of the Paris Agreement, to address the issue of Loss and Damage in a more focussed and coherent manner.
The Ocean Action Newsletter #2 is online
9 Nov 2017
- To follow-up on the implementation of the over 1,400 Ocean Conference Voluntary Commitments...
Our Ocean Conference
5 Oct 2017
- The European Union organized and hosted the 4th edition of the “Our Ocean Conference” in Malta from 5 – 6 October 2017. The first three conferences were organized by the US Department of State and held in Washington, DC. The 2018 conference will take place in Indonesia. Norway will be the host in 2019, and Palau in 2020.
Check the new Ocean Action Newsletter
3 Oct 2017
- On 12 September 2017, Secretary-General António Guterres appointed Mr. Peter Thomson, President of the 71st session of the General Assembly, as his Special Envoy for the Ocean.
Secretary-General Appoints Peter Thomson of Fiji Special Envoy for Ocean
12 Sep 2017
The UN follows up on the Ocean Conference Voluntary Commitments for the implementation of Sustainable Development Goal 14
7 Sep 2017
- In June 2017, at The Ocean Conference, 193 Member States of the United Nations committed to a set of ambitious measures that will begin the reversal of the decline of the ocean’s health. The Conference outcome document - Our Ocean, Our Future: Call for Action - together with close to 1,400 voluntary commitments for concrete action made by governments, the United Nations system, civil society organizations, academia, the scientific community, and the private sector, marked a global breakthrough in the management and conservation of the ocean, and for advancing implementation of Sustainable Development Goal 14 (SDG 14).
Making commitments to save our ocean
11 Apr 2017
- Healthy oceans are critical for sustaining life, eliminating poverty and promoting prosperity. The time is now to move from words to actions to conserve and sustainably use our oceans, seas and marine resources.
Blog: treasure or tragedy – our ocean commons
23 Mar 2017
- The sea was a bit too choppy for my liking. But there was a volcano erupting inland. The sea looked like a safer option! I took the plunge and jumped off the boat with my snorkel and fins.
Around me was a new world. So serene, so many layers...
Healthy oceans are needed for a sustainable future
20 Mar 2017
- Yet mankind has put the oceans at risk of irreversible damage. Overfishing, ocean acidification, increasing pollution, unsustainable coastal development, and the unwanted impacts of extracting resources have resulted in a decreasing abundance of marine species as well as decreasing economic benefits to small island developing States and Least Developed Countries.
Blog: ocean acidification – what it means and how to stop it
14 Mar 2017
- What is ocean acidification, and why is it so important to ocean sustainability and therefore to the SDG agenda?
Blog: Celebrating the crucial role of women in fisheries on International Women's Day 2017
8 Mar 2017
Blog: The way forward for reducing marine pollution
6 Mar 2017